Sydney Electric Bookshelf

N.S.W. ELECTRIC LOCOMOTIVES

E
lectric locomotives were used commercially on the N.S.W railways between June 1952 and June 2002. The NSW system is standard gauge (4'8½"), with 1500 volts D.C. overhead catenary for traction within the electrified area. (This area is centred on Sydney and bounded by Newcastle to the North, Bowenfels (Lithgow) to the West, Macarthur to the South West and Kiama to the South.) Due to economic factors and changed methods of train working, there are presently no electric locomotives operating in regular service.

The NSW electric fleet originally comprised 101 locomotives of four types :-

  • 4501 (later 7100) the prototype electric locomotive which entered service in June 1952
    (Metropolitan-Vickers Electrical Equipment)

  • 46 Class (4601 - 4640) which entered service between June 1956 and December 1958
    (Metropolitan-Vickers Electrical Equipment)

  • 85 Class (8501 - 8510) which entered service between July 1979 and July 1980
    (Mitsubishi Electrical Equipment)

  • 86 Class (8601 - 8650) which entered service between March 1983 and January 1986
    (Mitsubishi Electrical Equipment)
Presently there are eight of these electric locomotives preserved by four N.S.W. rail preservation groups (with units in bold fully operational). They are 4501(7100), 4601, 4602, 4615, 4627, 4638, 8606, and 8646.

The following pages detail technical literature presently available for the NSW electric fleet and they include downloadable versions of some maintenance and operating documents.

Return to Home Page Return to Library Return to SETS Fleet

HB 2003