High
honour was also done to Miles Walker, then the Company's consultant,
in 1931 and to Guy and J. D. Cockcroft in 1936, when they became fellows
of the Royal Society. The trend of Guy's work in the mechanical department,
of which he had been chief engineer from 1918, has already been indicated,
and the nuclear discoveries of Cockcroft, a former M-V apprentice,
will be described later.
Lastly,
in 1938 A. P. M. Fleming was elected president of the Institution
of Electrical Engineers, a pinnacle of professional achievement
and a fitting recognition of his pioneer work in the twin fields
of engineering education and research.
WORKS MATTERS
The rapid growth of fabrication by welding required a new tank shop,
which was laid out in 1929 by T. Dooley under T. Campbell, the transformer
superintendent. The standards engineer was made responsible for
a close liaison between the drawing offices and tank shop with
a view to helping the draughtsmen to introduce welding into their
designs, but three or four years later the greater amount of fabrication
made it necessary for each drawing office to have its own welding
expert. A welding school was started to give initial training and
refresher courses to welders on the Company's staff; this was very
helpful during the subsequent changeover from covered electrodes
to bare wire.
In
1930 G. E. Bailey, appreciating the important part of fabrication
in manufacture, inaugurated a separate 'steel products' department
with Campbell as its first superintendent. The motor application
section of the general engineering department, set up two years
before, was made responsible for development work, and an engineer
was appointed to coordinate the use of welding in the shops and
the design of welding equipment. Many of the new welding sets were
given trial runs in the tank shops: the first welded gear-case for
steam turbines was made in 1930, and the first combined cylinder
and condenser in 1931. By this time transformer tanks, bedplates,
yokes, and a variety of other products were in regular production.
In 1934 a separate shop was provided for the manufacture of welding
equipment.
The
growth of welding naturally affected the iron foundry. Some of the
simpler designs such as bedplates, stator frames, and condenser
shells were being fabricated. but the demand for turbine cylinder
castings increased and is still large. The foundry turned out its
biggest cylinder casting in 1935: it weighed 64 tons and required
five ladles to pour it. Condenser shells up to 16 ft 6 inches in
diameter were also cast.
The
original pattern shop still survived, but a growing stock of patterns
meant that less space was required for patternmaking; parts of the
department were progressively taken over for other work. In 1937
a new pattern shop was built, and the old building was completely
occupied by the instrument and meter department.
|